Tuesday, April 13, 2010

& I was furious.

i totally had a melt down yesterday.

let me explain.

as you know, my husband suffers from male factor infertility. so, we get to go through the grueling process of identifying a sperm donor via a selected cryobank all in addition to my PCOS and ensuring I O via lovely meds.

our first cycle last summer we spent hours researching donors. i felt overally paticular and maybe kind of bitchy about our selection process - but my body. our deleima. our decision. it's a huge decision. someone you don't know playing the major role in our having a baby. in a way it's creepy to me - but im more greatful we have this option; so i was cool with it after all. well, we identified our perfect donor. his personal profile so much like Jay. his family medical history, beautiful. his physical traits, mirrored Jay. the price of this donor was within our budget.

having to order our vial this Thursday for overnight delivery, i hopped online yesterday to order and if his price did not read $560. what? how in the heck could a donor increase $340 in 8 months?

so i called.

i was told that the candidate was now placed within the "Options ID" category, which allows the "offspring" to contact the donor at the age of 18. So, they charge $340 for something they allow. they didn't bother to check with the person purchasing if they wanted that option, which in our case, we don't. they didn't notify those who had purchased this donor of a price increase nor would they honor the price w/o this crazy option.

my BP rose 50 notches.

he was perfect. and not that we can't get this donor but our budget is our budget and i can't spend $800 on a tiny vial. this journey is already expensive.

so, here we were 3 days before our delivery - left searching for yet another.

*sigh.

3 comments:

  1. Wow I'm so sorry about that! That's heartbreaking. I'm crossing my fingers that you'll find another that is equally as perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a big price jump. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand your frustration. That is a lot of money and how could they add that in there and price change it without speaking to you first?

    And I imagine how hard it would be to find a perfect donor so I'm sure you spent countless hours searching.

    I hope you find another one that's equally as perfect but for the right price.

    ReplyDelete